Saturday, October 3, 2009

THE CATCHER IN THE RYE

Well, let's see, I've completely neglected my reading and visiting my friend's blogs, which I love to keep up with, always finding little pearls.  We (my family) decided to downsize from a $2100. rent in Hawaii and were looking for something cheaper (economy, economy, economy blahh blahh blahh!) So, we secured a place and at the last minute it was rented out beneath us for more money apparently (someone willing to pay a lil' more).
Anywho, now we are hobos.  We stayed at a friend's for 4 days, and my kids certainly wore out that welcome.  Familiarity breeds contempt!  Now I'm sitting on a hotel bed (of course after stripping the bedspread.  Always do that if you haven't been..... I could tell you one sick forensic story!)  We are here for 3 days, and then since my kids are off from school for 10 days we're going camping in the Kohala District of the Big Island.  I told my friend where we would be camping and she said, "Oh, just so you know a lot of homeless people camp there." So, we'll fit right in.  Hopefully I'll be reading and blogging from the beach and no one will steal  my can goods or my computer.
Started "The Catcher In The Rye" a book I had read as a freshmen, and again like with The Great Gatsby was like HUH?  I was rather slow in high school and now only marginally improved. I'm going to take Cara's (Ooh .... Books!) approach with the beginning of this book and blog my first reactions....

Salinger writes:

"IF YOU REALLY want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

Well, he sounds like a self centered, know it all kid, just like we all were.  And, tragic of course (the Copperfield reference) all kids think they are living akin to "Angela's Ashes" when they're told they can't use the car on Friday night. My first thought was "No! I do not care to hear about your life!  And why would you think anyone would want to hear about it? Awfully conceited aren't you?"  But , he grows on you, Holden Caulfield.  He is sixteen and quite clever and impressed with himself.  His adolescent attitude, amusements, judgments, and irritants remind me of myself or a piece of any sixteen year old.  I'm only on Chapter Six, but it's a short book that I'll probably complete by tomorrow.  Apparently, "one diligent parent counted 237 appearances of the word "goddam" in the novel, along with 58 "bastards", 31 "Chrissakes" and 6 "fucks". Now in the 1950's when this became the book all "Marlon Brando look a likes" had to read, it caused a huge ruckus. And, apparently still does among some "others".  No Comment!  Everyone knows Wicca membership has grown exponentially since "Harry Potter" came out, all those nutty kids wanting to be witches and wizards!!  We'll have to see if I swear more after reading The Catcher In The Rye or pull similar shenanigans as Caulfield.  I'll keep track of my progress.
Tomorrow, reading by the hotel pool......



2 comments:

Cara Powers said...

You'll have to tell us how you're impressions of the book have changed since you read it in high school.

Suzanne Yester said...

You definitely have Holden down to a tee! I had never read it until this weeks Banned Books Week and was pleasantly surprised... Although I had to start it twice because Holden was driving me a little nuts at first. I love the breakdown of the "language"!

Hope you enjoy the book!

Suzanne