Thursday, October 15, 2009

BEAUTIFUL HAWAIIAN (NANI HAWAIIAN) WORDS..........

FIRST OFF, HAVING MAJOR TECH PROBLEMS WITH MY PAGE!  ANY SUGGESTIONS APPRECIATED!
I'm almost done with "LADY CHATTERLEY'S LOVER", literally maybe 15 pages and then will write a review.  I like trying out other blogger's themes i.e. OHH .....BOOKS reactions to the first few lines of a new book.   In this post, I'm borrowing an idea from THE CAPRICIOUS  READER, "Wondrous Words Wednesday". 
Since I have to stick to my goal of reading the top novels and have to finish the book before I can write a review, it's fun to venture off on some other roads.  Living in Hawaii, your ear has to become accustomed to the language and it is no easy task to pronounce Hawaiian words.  When I first got here three years ago, I called to set up new doctors, etc. for my kids.  Of course, I had to ask for directions.  This was a challenge, not only to understand the street names but also the vernacular.    The women on the other end of the phone replies, "Ok so you take Kuakini to Hualualani Road, then take a right on Palani, left Luhia street, left on Nani Kailua and then you're there!  DAHHH, HUH??? Can you spell that?  So after much practice and mutilation, I do have some of it down.  Here are some  beautiful Hawaiian Words:


Aina (eye na):  earth
A Kamai (ah kamy): smart
Aloha: Hello/Goodbye
Mahalo:  Thank you
Wahine (Wa heen knee): women
Kane (ka-nay): men
Kumu (koo moo): teacher
Nani (nah knee): beautiful
Kai: The Sea
lani (la-nee): The Heavens
Imu (E-Moo): pit (which they roast pigs in, and yes I've tried this, yum!)
AND THE PIECE DE RESISTANCE:



WHICH MEAN TRIGGER FISH AND NO, I CANNOT PRONOUNCE IT!  BUT GIVE IT YOUR BEST SHOT!!

1 comment:

Cara Powers said...

I was in Hawaii over Christmas. I went diving for the first time. I kept trying to pronounce that fish's name over and over again always to be corrected by the dive masters. I think my sister-in-law has gotten it down though.